FIRST WEEDWACKER AERO SQUADRON
1. All pilots must observe the AMA Safety Code and directions of the Field Marshalls.
2. No flying is permitted at Cactus Park on Red Flag Warning days.
3. Any pilot wishing to fly electric powered airplanes shall be a Weedwacker club member in
good standing and will have attended a "Proper Electric Airplane Protocol" seminar to become a
certified and safe electric airplane pilot. Guests may fly electric powered models under the direct
supervision of a certified electric pilot.
4. In case of any fire event witnessed by a member at the Cactus Park site or surrounding area,
the Lakeside fire department will be called upon immediately in order to respond. Call 911.
5. There must be an operating cell phone at Cactus Park whenever aircraft are being flown.
6. Running or flying engine-powered models is permitted from 9:00AM to sunset. Electrics and
gliders are permitted from 8:00AM to sunset. Quiet helicopter flying is allowed in the vicinity of
the runway from 8:00AM to 9:00AM.
a. Turbine, pulse jet and rocket powered models are not permitted.
7. All model aircraft must meet AMA noise guidelines (96 dBA at 3 meters).
Sound Limits – All model aircraft must measure less than or equal to 96 dBA at 3 meters (10
feet) taken as the highest of measurements measured from the front, rear and on each side of the
Note: upon receiving a noise complaint from a non-member neighbor of the field, a field marshal
or board member may ground an aircraft until measures have been taken to reduce the aircraft's
dba level. Any field marshal or board member may sign off on modifications and OK the aircraft
8. Flyers give way to vehicle traffic on runway.
9. Transmitters operating on 72 MHz must not be turned ON unless the pilot has the appropriate
frequency clothespin on the transmitter. Pilots will place their current AMA card (or a copy) on
the pin holder when using the pin. Channel numbers must be displayed on all transmitters.
Pilots are considered financially responsible for damage caused by violating this rule. Pilots
using 2.4 GHz are not required to utilize transmitter identification pins.
10. Pilots must stand behind the fence in one of five flight stations for takeoff, flight and
landings (5 planes maximum at any time).
11. Flying should be confined to the area over the middle of the river flood control channel to the
North, bounded by the flag/plane marker to the East, entry gate to the west and the northern
runway edge to the South.
a. Other than landing or taking off, flying is prohibited south of the
SAFETY LINE, situated 25 feet from the PILOT LINE.
b. A pilot may be grounded at the discretion of a field marshal or board member for the
remainder of the day if any of said pilot's aircraft violate the eastern boundary more
than once in a single day
c. All aircraft will yield to aircraft landing and taking off.
12. Pilots should normally fly in a right hand conventional oval traffic pattern when in the
landing pattern and other planes are also flying (except for dead stick landings or when the wind
is from the East). 3D & Helicopter pilots may fly at the field when following the guideline that
when fixed wing models are flying, they will conform to the fixed wing pattern of flight.
13. No taxiing in the pit area, or behind the pilot line. Models shall be carried or hand guided for
absolute control in these areas.
14. Model should be pointed such that prop blast with engine running will be directed away from
other models or people.
15. Club members must wear Club ID Badge when flying at the field. Non-club members may
fly at the field as a guest under the guidance of a badge-wearing club member. Guest may fly on
three visits, after which they must join the club to continue flying at Cactus Park.
16. Inexperienced pilots should seek the help and be given help by experienced pilots or club
17. Parking is permitted in designated areas only; at least 15 feet clear of the pit area.
18. Gate must be locked except when Club Members are present. The last member out must lock
the gate regardless of the time of day.
19. Smoking is strictly prohibited on the flight line and in the pit area. Additionally, San Diego
County Ordinance, 41.118 forbids smoking at Cactus Park.
20. Charging of Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries at Cactus Park shall be in accordance with the
posted Weedwacker Lithium Polymer Battery Charging Protocol (and should be followed when
charging batteries of any type).
21. Consumption of alcoholic beverages or use of illegal substances is prohibited at the flying
22. Dogs are not allowed in the pits, and all dogs must be on a leash not exceeding six feet in
length (San Diego County Ordinance, 41.123).
23. Radio control cars (and trucks) are permitted at the field under the following conditions:
a. Members may operate R/C cars in the upper south parking lot (south of the berm) but
must remain at least 30 feet clear of parked vehicles when operating (to preclude
collisions or rocks from hitting cars). Should vehicles enter the southern parking area,
R/C car operations must stop while the car is parking/moving.
b. Cars may be operated on the runway when no aircraft are flying or on the runway.
Cars must leave the runway when a pilot is ready to taxi out.
c. At no time will radio control cars be driven in the pit area (between the pilot stations
and the parking berm).
d. Members’ children may operate R/C cars while under direct supervision.
Last updated: Oct 5, 2017